As the population ages, a key challenge is to consider how to increase the quality and years of healthy life. Many nations are responding to this challenge by emerging and applying policies to indorse healthy ageing. Furthermore, given the advancements in modern medicine and a keen focus on health and wellness, global populations are expected to grow significantly older over the next half century, giving new meaning and new life to the concept of healthy ageing.
Consumers are therefore focusing more on preventative health and undoing past negative health choices. They want to take a proactive approach to managing health and are looking for products that protect their health for future years.
While attitudes toward age-related diseases are a bigger concern among seniors, the concept of healthy ageing affects consumer of all ages. It is all about embracing all life-stages and addressing specific health needs throughout the entire life journey.
In this respect, nutraceuticals may have an exceptional positioning within healthy ageing. They can address nutritional needs of consumers as they are proved to be a good solution to support an active healthy lifestyle for consumers as a preventative approach.
However, despite bold moves in nutraceutical innovation the modern consumer is conscientious about scientific proof of the dietary supplements they are taking. Therefore building trust in nutraceuticals through established and health claim-validated ingredients remains necessary to support the growth of nutraceuticals in this space.
Following this market demand, coming up with solutions for the healthy ageing market is definetely a current focus of Lubrizol Life Science Nutraceuticals strategy. Our aim is to develop nutraceutical ingredients backed by science that focus on adding nutrient quality to consumers' diets to support their healthy aging.
To provide even more comprehensive benefits for the consumers, our ingredients are aimed at supporting prevention and relief of age-related symptoms. By a wide range of science-backed branded botanical and mineral ingredients, we address the different needs of consumers as they age including solutions for bone and joint health, heart health, cognitive function, beauty from within and immune health.
Our branded solutions include adding value to the following ingredients:
1. Calcium: although dairy products account for about 70% of dietary calcium, total calcium intake remains inadequate. This realization has led to the calcium fortification of an expanding number of foods. LIPOCAL™ microcapsules is a bioavailable non-animal source of calcium, suitable for vegetarians, that can be easily incorporated in a wide range of food applications.
2. Magnesium: an essential mineral involved in energy metabolism, respiratory function and maintenance of normal muscle contraction and relaxation. However, despite magnesium’s critical role, maintaining its intake at an adequate level has been frequently overlooked, therefore magnesium supplementation has been widely recommended.
In this respect, MAGSHAPE™ microcapsules, can contribute to an appropriate muscular function and an adequate energy level for better performance. Furthermore, given its high magnesium content, more magnesium gets into the bloodstream to deliver its health benefits.
3. Iron: according to the World Health Organization (WHO), iron deficiency is recognised as the most common and widespread nutritional disorder in the world. Iron fortification is generally considered the best approach for preventing or eradicating iron deficiency; however the chemical reactivity of iron species and their affinity to various components of food systems often result in the generation of discoloration or objectionable flavors as well as reduced bioavailability of the mineral. LIPOFER™ microcapsules is a microencapsulated source of iron, which is designed to reduce iron’s reactivity while improving its bioavailability.
4. Zinc: one of the most important trace minerals in human nutrition as it is involved in numerous aspects of cellular metabolism, wound healing as well as in growth maintenance during childhood and adolescence. Various foods including oysters, red meats and poultry as well as some cereals and vegetables contain zinc naturally; however, the presence of high levels of phytate in cereals can compromise the bioavailability of zinc from these sources. ZINCNOVA™ comprises a novel encapsulated zinc oxide for an easy fortification of a wide range of food applications with this nutrient.
5. Astaxanthin: a member of the xanthophyll group, is a red-orange carotenoid with unique cell membrane actions and diverse biological activities. Numerous studies have shown that astaxanthin has potential health-promoting effects, however, because of its highly conjugated, double bond structure, astaxanthin is unstable during production and storage. This causes a loss of its biological activity, and considerably limits its use in nutraceutical applications. ASTAGILE™ microcapsules is a naturally stable microencapsulated astaxanthin with proven neuroprotective efficacy to support cognitive health.
6. Phytosterols: high blood cholesterol level is the first risk factor for coronary heart disease. The cholesterol lowering effect of plant sterols is well documented in literature. However, due to their insolubility in water and lipids, phytosterols incorporation into foods and beverages formulations has been very challenging. LIPOPHYTOL™ is a dispersible form of plant sterols which has been microencapsulated to facilitate their incorporation in food matrices.
7. Curcumin: antioxidant properties of curcumin have shown to reduce ROS in cells and eliminate the effects of advanced glycation species (AGEs) on the divergent regulation of gene expression of receptors of AGEs by several mechanisms.
Furthermore, curcumin has been shown to delay skin aging by protecting it from oxidative and inflammatory damages, however the potential of curcumin is limited by its low bioavailability. CURCUSHINE™ microcapsules is a bioavailable and soluble curcumin with anti-ageing benefits
8. Caffeine: a methylxanthine alcaloid which is well-known for its properties in the central nervous system, its action as a metabolic stimulant, and a fatigue reducer. Caffeine, however, is quickly absorbed and therefore its stimulating effect can be felt instantly after consumption leading to energy fluctuations. In addition, this compound has a bitter taste which compromises its addition into food systems. NEWCAFF™ microcapsules sustained caffeine release with a clean taste.
Our ingredients are be suitable to added to a wide range of functional foods, and different types of nutraceuticals such as tablets, capsules, chewables, syrups, drops, etc.
Learn more about Lubrizol Life Science or get in touch with their team, visit www.lipofoods.com