Gastrointestinal discomfort (GD) is a common disorder that affects 40% of the adult population worldwide1.
In recent years, significant lifestyle changes have caused an increase in the incidence of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Besides typical GERD symptoms like regurgitation and heartburn, impairment of quality of life (QoL) includes disturbed sleep, body pain, anxiety, and unsatisfactory sex life2. Reflux episodes can occur in daytime, but nocturnal symptoms have an important influence on QoL and are associated with complications of GERD.
Natural ingredients represent an interesting option for the management of gastrointestinal disorders3. O. Ficus-indica (L.) Mill., also known as nopal cactus or prickle pear, is a dicotyledonous angiosperm plant belonging to the Cactaceae family. It is a tropical and subtropical plant usually growing in arid climates especially in the Mediterranean and Central America regions4. In Sicily, the plant's cladodes are used in the traditional medicinal treatment of gastric ulcer5. This traditional use has been confirmed by scientific studies, attributing the benefits to the mucoadhesion effect due to the polysaccharides of cladodes4-5.
Olive leaf extracts have been widely used in traditional medicines in many European and Mediterranean countries from ancient times and, furthermore, have been shown to prevent the formation of gastric lesions induced by experimental stress6. Other biological activities of olive leaves include anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects thanks to its abundance in secondary metabolites such as polyphenols.7
BIONAP has developed MUCOSAVE™FG, a blend of two herbal extracts containing polysaccharides of prickle pear cladodes (Opuntia ficus indica (L.)) and biophenols of olive leaves (Olea europaea (L.)). MUCOSAVE™FG is a unique combination specifically created for mucosal support and to counteract the main symptoms caused by gastrointestinal disorders.
MUCOSAVE™FG antiulcerogenic and gastroprotective properties shown in pre-clinical evaluations4-5-8, have beneficial effects in people suffering from GD. Indeed, results from a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial recently published suggest that MUCOSAVE™FG supplementation counteracts GERD symptoms and has a positive impact on the quality of life of people suffering of GD9.
The effects of O. ficus-indica cladodes and O. europaea leaves combined extract are evident from the first days of administration, decreasing frequency and intensity of main symptoms of GD and GERD. Moreover, after four weeks of treatment, participants reported a definite improvement in the following symptoms: abdominal pain, sense of fulness, sense of swelling, flatulence, eructation, bowel sounds, bowel movement, reflux, constipation, nausea, and heartburn. Significant amelioration of common GERD symptoms was also observed, especially for pressure in the chest, food back in the mouth, and gurgling. To monitor the effect of the supplementation over time, participants completed a daily diary. Interestingly, after only two days, participants experienced the benefits of the supplementation, with an improvement of wellbeing that reached its maximum score after one week of supplementation.
Moreover, In vitro tests demonstrated that MUCOSAVE™FG possesses significant bifidogenic activity comparable to that exerted by inulin. In addition, recent preliminary clinical data supports the prebiotic activity of MUCOSAVE™FG, which is able to modulate the gut microbiota either by direct growth stimulation of beneficial gut bacteria and through antimicrobial effects on bacterial pathogens thus balancing the gut microbiota in people suffering from GD.
Regarding the supply chain, a farmer’s network has been created to assure a wide production base and to reduce crop risks. The actual network, ever growing, consists of certified farmlands no more distant than 2 hours of transport route from the BIONAP's processing facility.
Lifecycle analysis of MUCOSAVE™FG raw material supports the best practice to reduce the environmental impact.
MUCOSAVE™FG is TRU-ID (DNA barcoding) certified. MUCOSAVE™FG is Kosher and Vegan certified and it is a gluten, GMO and BSE/TSE free product.
To learn more about Bionap's solutions visit www.bionap.com
1. Sperber, A. D. et al. Worldwide Prevalence and Burden of Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders, Results of Rome Foundation Global Study. Gastroenterology 160, 99-114.e3 (2021).
2. Alecci, U., Bonina, F., Bonina, A. et al. (2016). Efficacy and safety of a natural remedy for the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux: a double-blinded randomized-controlled study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016: 1-8. doi:10.1155/2016/2581461
3. Pino, A., De Angelis, M., Chieppa, M. et al. (2020). Gut Microbiota, Probiotics And Colorectal Cancer: A Tight Relation. WCRJ. 7: e1456, doi.org/10.32113/wcrj_20201_1456.
4. Di Lorenzo, F., Silipo, A., Molinaro, A. et al. (2017). The polysaccharide and low molecular weight components of Opuntia ficus indica cladodes: Structure and skin repairing properties. Carbohydr. Polym. 157:128-136. doi: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2016.09.073
5. Galati, E., Monforte, M., Tripodo, M., et al. (2001). Antiulcer activity of O. ficus-indica (L.) Mill. (Cactaceae): ultrastructural study. J. Ethnopharmacol. 76 1-9. doi:10.1016/s0378-8741(01)00196-9
6. Dekanski, D., Janićijević-Hudomal, S., Ristić, S., Radonjić, N. V., Petronijević, N. D., Piperski, V., & Mitrović, D. M. (2009). Attenuation of cold restraint stress-induced gastric lesions by an olive leaf extract. General physiology and biophysics, 28 Spec No, 135–142
7. El, S.N. and Karakaya, S. (2009). Olive tree (O. europaea) leaves: potential beneficial effects on human health. Nutr. Rev. 67(11): 632-638. doi:10.1111/j.1753-4887.2009. 00248.x
8. Galati, E. M., Pergolizzi, S., Miceli, N., Monforte, M. T. & Tripodo, M. M. Study on the increment of the production of gastric mucus in rats treated with Opuntia ficus indica (L.) Mill. cladodes. J. Ethnopharmacol. 83, 229–233 (2002)
9. Malfa, G. A. et al. A standardized extract of Opuntia ficus-indica (L.) Mill and Olea europaea L. improves gastrointestinal discomfort: A double-blinded randomized-controlled study. Phyther. Res. 1–13 (2021) doi:10.1002/ptr.7074