The sublingual (under the tongue) and buccal (cheek) delivery of a drug via thin film has the potential to improve the onset of action, lower the dosage, and enhance the efficacy and safety profile of the medicament. All tablet dosage forms, softgels and liquid formulations primarily enter the blood stream through the gastrointestinal tract, which subjects the drug to degradation from stomach acid, bile, digestive enzymes and other first-pass effects. As a result, such formulations often require higher doses and generally have a delayed onset of action.
Conversely, buccal and sublingual thin-film drug delivery can avoid these issues and yield quicker onsets of action at lower doses.
Other advantages of oral thin film include:
- More stable, durable and quicker dissolving than other conventional dosage forms.
- Enables improved dosing accuracy relative to liquid formulations since every strip is manufactured to contain a precise amount of the drug.
- Thin film not only ensures more accurate administration of drugs but can also improve compliance due to the intuitive nature of the dosage form and its inherent ease of administration. These properties are especially beneficial for pediatric, geriatric and neurodegenerative disease patients where proper and complete dosing can be difficult.
- Ability to dissolve rapidly without the need for water provides an alternative to patients with swallowing disorders and to patients suffering from nausea, such as those patients receiving chemotherapy.
- Thin film drug delivery has the potential to allow the development of sensitive drug targets that otherwise may not be possible in tablet or liquid formulations.
From a commercial perspective, thin film drug delivery technology offers an opportunity to extend revenue lifecycles for pharmaceutical companies whose drug patent is expiring and will soon be vulnerable to generic competition.
Sublingual film delivers a convenient, quick-dissolving therapeutic dose contained within an abuse-deterrent film matrix that cannot be crushed or injected by patients, and rapidly absorbs under the tongue to ensure compliance.
DYNATABS® LLC. perfected oral edible strips increases bioavailability of nutritional herbal remedies that cannot be reproduced or achieved with common capsules or pills